The square is situated right in the center of Jelsa. It slowly developed from the 16th century to the beginning of the 20th century. On the west side of the square there is a natural water spring, Slatina, which has been used by the local inhabitants since ancient times. In order to let the surplus water from the Slatina spring flow into the sea, a brook was created in 1847. In 1934, a fountain was built in the middle of the Square.