The single-nave, early Gothic Church of Our Lady was mentioned in the Hvar Statute of 1331. It was expanded to three naves and then most probably fortified with a tower. It is thought that the entire church was fortified in 1535. Thanks to the Church-Fortress of Our Lady, the people of Jelsa defended themselves from an attack in 1571 by the Algerian beg Uluç Ali. Today the parish church has four chapels: two larger ones dating back to the 17th century and two smaller ones dating back to the 19th century. The first chapel on the right contains a painting called "Mother of God and the torture of Fabian and Sebastian", painted by a Flemish-Venetian painter P. de Coster. In the first chapel on the left there is a relief by Antonio Poro. Today the church is called the "Church of Mary’s Assumption".